How to Become a Tutor: Informative Tips
After all, the task of a Tutor is not only to achieve results but also to make the process of obtaining knowledge enjoyable and exciting.
Where to look for students
Word of mouth has always been the best way to find disciples. Even if you do not have experience working in an educational institution and cannot tell your colleagues about your intention to conduct private lessons, tell all your relatives and friends. Place a post about the start of the activity, experience and contacts in your social media accounts.
Online resources for tutors
Many student search sites charge a commission. Be sure to read the terms and conditions of a particular site before you start searching.
On sites such as Tutor Search, vacancies for tutors from online schools often flash. But instead of looking for them there, it is much more convenient to find them without intermediaries, right in the vacancy column in these schools.
Tutor: cost per hour
The cost of tutor services depends on the following factors:
1. Place of residence. Prices for services in Moscow and the provinces sometimes differ by several times.
2. Education. Does the tutor have one or two higher educations? He may haven’t graduated from high school yet. This also affects the tutor’s price tag.
3. Experience. Tutors with five or more years of experience have a higher price tag than those who teach for less than a year.
4. Load level. It is one thing to teach English to a first grader. And quite another is the future graduate, who needs to pass the entrance exam at the university in English. Also important are the deadlines that are given to achieve the result.
5. Item. The most expensive subjects are mathematics, English and music.
How to evaluate your services
Find out how many colleagues in your city are asking for the same service. Match their level of experience and education with yours. Based on this, put the city’s price tag lower or average. Then, as you learn, it will become more apparent to you whether to raise the price.
Do not take the price tag out of your head. Set a price that corresponds to the knowledge gained from training with you. Evaluate soberly, and excessive dumping is also completely useless.
Average salary by city
The most profitable region for tutors is Pakistan. Following is the Pakistan region; in this region, the average salary of a tutor depends on hours. In Lahore, as well as in Islamabad, tutors earn according to their subjects. And the average national income of a tutor varies from 30,000 to 35,000. Working as a tutor is quite profitable.
How to become a good tutor: valuable tips
Don’t blame or pressure your students. It is better to give preference to the technique of support and understanding. In addition, in such an environment, a person learns new knowledge much faster and more efficiently.
Whatever happens, please do not talk to students and their parents about your other students’ mistakes. This is professional ethics, a kind of anonymity, and should be respected. Otherwise, you may not be in the best light.
Try to admit your mistakes. This is a common problem among school teachers. It is better to admit that the task has stymied you and postpone it until the next lesson. And then, show the student the difficulty and how you overcame it. This will serve as a great example and help win the student’s trust.
Efficient working day mode
The work schedule will depend on the number of students the tutor has. But still, to carry out the work most efficiently, you should follow some rules. Namely:
1. be sure to keep a diary. Record in it all the planned lessons and transfers. Very often, especially with many students, the tutor may forget some things regarding the time and date of the lessons.
2. Set your working hours and stick to them strictly. You don’t need to make an appointment for a lesson at 8:30 in the morning if you don’t wake up until 9:30. Your minutes pay, so you should always try to be as efficient as possible.
3. Set aside at least one or two days off a week. And do not do anything during this time that is related to work. You will be more efficient if your resource cup is full.
4. Hiring a tutor does not change the student’s need to do independent work. This is a significant factor in the assimilation of new information.
5. Also, classes with a tutor should include practical exercises. In addition to simple theory studies, you can develop various life applications of the tasks. Knowledge is even better consolidated if an emotional, personal component supports it. To do this, you can visit thematic museums, exhibitions and more with the student.
6. If you teach a foreign language, movies and books in that language work great. But they should be interesting to your student. Let it be modern popular films and series for teenagers and women, the best films about love or cooking.
7. The tutor must ensure that the student has fully mastered the topic. Controls can help with this. It includes questions and aspects that can be applied to life.
8. Try not to abuse transfers and cancellations of classes if you are conducting face-to-face classes – over time, information is forgotten and voids and plugs form. If someone is sick or was forced to leave the city, conduct lessons remotely.
How to deal with challenging students
Challenging students tend to be teenagers. Young children and adults do not create as many challenges in the learning process as individuals during puberty.
If a teenager shows aggression, then most likely, it was not his decision to start learning through a tutor. Here it would be best if you tried to find a particular way. If a teenager does not burn with desire, this does not negate the fact that he needs to be trained. Find out what his hobbies and interests are and what dreams and life tasks he has. Try to adjust the training program based on this information. For example, you can translate the lyrics of his favourite rock bands.
If there is no desire to learn, it was most likely the parents’ idea to hire a tutor. In this case, during classes, it is necessary to focus on why the child needs it to show where it will come in handy. If that doesn’t work, come up with some other motivation or benefit that the student will get from learning your subject.
If the student cannot concentrate and is constantly distracted, this can happen for two reasons. (Home Tutors for A-Levels)This is either an unwillingness to learn or the characteristics of adolescence in the form of hormones, life problems and experiences. In this case, reducing the time allotted for the lesson makes sense.
When a student rebels by skipping classes, ignoring or disrupting the lesson, you must show sincere respect for his personality. As a rule, teenagers try to show their importance through such actions. Give them that feeling, and then they won’t have to prove anything.
Recommended: Guidelines for communicating about mental health